Why I have only bought one Apple product?


I have only ever bought one Apple product in my life and that was the Apple iPod Touch 4th generation. This is not because I don’t like Apple or Apple products, in fact I have a lot of admiration for Apple and their products. I love their ethos, their design principles, and their simplicity. Why is it that I have only ever bought one of their products and not been compelled to get every iPhone?
Well it comes down to a couple of things. The main one being price, Apple’s products simply out-price a lot of consumers out the market. In fact I was very envious of seeing some of my friends growing up always having the latest iPhone. My family always encouraged an ethos of if you want to buy something you have to work to get it. Apple was a luxury brand and at the time I struggled to see the value in. Having said this the one Apple product I did have, the iPod touch, I adored and valued highly.
Another reason for not buying Apple products even as I grew older and had a more dispensable income was that I never wanted to be behind in the technology. The latest iPhone was always too ridiculously expensive which yes brings cost back in to the equation. Despite of this I never wanted to have an iPhone 6s if there was an iPhone7 out. Apple brings out new phones every September which would result in not always having the new phone. As well as this being a software developer like myself it is easier to produce Android Apps and release them on the App store than it is on iOS.
Throughout studying Media Studies A Level we used Macs to create our practical work using iMovie. My experience in using Macs was OK, that would be the best way to describe it. I found them more difficult to navigate, perhaps this was down to how used I was to Windows. The one thing I found was software such as iMovie which was much greater to anything Windows could produce, i.e Movie maker. I also found the design and the look of Macs much more appealing than any Windows machine I had used before. However I just couldn’t understand the reasoning behind the price. Again this could be down to the limited usage I had of the Mac but even throughout University anyone who used a Mac to code always had compatibility issues or couldn’t use certain IDE’s.
To conclude I don’t have anything against Apple, I just struggle to see the value for money when products that cost half the price can do just as good a job if not better. I never felt Apple really offered anything of greater functional quality than the cheaper alternatives. I only felt they had a great design and a simpler interface which I don’t feel deserves a 50% increase in price.

Comments